Monday, March 19, 2012

Liminal time and Real Church


I’ve been depressed recently. Can you tell? I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t qualify as clinical depression. My low moods come and go. But I have been more down than up.

I don’t want to inflict too many depressed blogs on my handful of readers, just like I don’t like to talk much to anybody when I feel down. I prefer to go silent. But writing often helps and besides, I have always found other people’s honest writing helpful to me no matter what the topic, no matter whether I identify or not. So let me get a little clinical here and describe my symptoms and the suspected causes.

I’ve been crashing in the middle of the week when Vic is away in Chicago. I don’t exactly depend on him for happiness but having him around, quiet as he is, keeps the gloom at bay. I have someone else to focus on. I have appearances to keep up. I can’t just lie down and be sad. If I did, I’d have to explain myself and that would be too much bother. And it really does help to have to pretend to be ok. You can talk yourself into a lot, good and bad. Self-pity is self-perpetuating.

I’ve been wondering whether this down time is a response to my December health crisis. If so, it is not a conscious one. Thinking about that doesn’t scare me or make me feel vulnerable. There is an indirect connection to that event, however. It was truly life-changing.

I have written before that it left me impatient with a lot of things, such as having to handle logistics and multitasking. It also left me impatient with doing large parts of my beloved, longtime part time job. I simply can’t stand to write grant proposals and reports any more. I also became aware that I see lots of things that I should be doing, or that could be done in my work, and I have no interest in doing them.

I decided that this plum job should go now to someone who would really treasure it as I once did. And so I gave notice. And we immediately found someone eager and qualified to do a large part of my job probably better than I ever did it, ways to redistribute other responsibilities on staff, and I will probably keep doing a few things I love to do. This all happened, remarkably, within a week.

I don’t think I gave notice because I am depressed. Nor do I think that giving notice has made me depressed. The health crisis simply made me focus on what I no longer want to do—what no longer serves me well, and ways I no longer serve well.

It was less successful in showing me what I want to do over the next phase of my life. I can figure out the day to day, but when I think about the future I draw a blank and that, dear friends, is a little scary. This, I believe, is a major source of my recurring low moods.

Yesterday at church I received surprising gifts. First, the service of this fourth Sunday in Lent ended with the offer of anointing with oil for healing. I was among the first to line up at the altar. Then I found myself speaking of my situation in the second-hour session I’ve been attending called “standing on sacred ground.” One friend in this small group, Deanna, named my situation as “liminal.” I am indeed in the place of the in-between, the unknown, the changing, and it is a vulnerable place to be. And then Deanna and her husband, who are Zero Balancing practitioners, invited Vic and me to lunch and a session of this energy and bodywork. I found it restorative, cleansing, and, yes, balancing.

When things come together like this I do feel like I am on sacred ground, and sometimes it even happens in church. My friends and I have a term for this. We call it Real Church.

Today I feel tired but in a good way. Like things are shifting and will be shifting for some time to come, but I don’t have to worry about where they will come out.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Nancy - Your honesty, vulnerability and willingness to share your journey with others is part of your gift to my own Real Church experience. Blessings on this liminal time in your life. It is the space where possibilities are born and transformation can occur. Be well and stay balanced!

    ReplyDelete